The ban on Twitter operations in the country may be lifted soon, according to reports, because the social media giant has reportedly met six conditions imposed by the Nigerian government.
According to The Nation, the government-appointed Technical Committee to resolve the impasse between the two parties is fine-tuning the microblogger’s offers before making a final recommendation to President Muhammadu Buhari.
It was also reported that, while the President has agreed in principle to restore Twitter’s social networking operation in Nigeria, he is awaiting the committee’s report before lifting the ban imposed on Twitter on June 4, last year.
There is also talk of the federal government amending the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) Act to include Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, and other social media platforms.
Nigeria Twitter conditions
- Open an office in Nigeria
- Have a country representative
- Register with the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC)/get National Broadcasting Commission’s licence
- Payment of fair taxes
- Sensitive to national security and cohesion. It must not undermine the nation’s security
- Train Nigerian IT personnel and strategic intelligence officers on how to report twitter abuse /infractions noticed by the government.